1 box Betty Crocker™ Pound Cake Mix
Eggs, butter, and water/milk called for on package
Betty Crocker™ assorted gel food colors purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red
6 (5.3 oz.) containers Yoplait® Greek 2% lemon meringue yogurt
1 1/2 cups lemon curd
3 (8 oz.) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 cup rainbow jimmies
- Rainbow Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Make pound cake mix according to package instructions.
- Divide batter into 6 small bowls. Color each bowl of batter using one of the food colorings so you have a bowl of purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red.
- Pour colored batter into pastry bags fitted with small round tips.
- Spray metal muffin tins with non-stick baking spray. Start by piping a half inch purple circle in the center of 15 muffin cups. Next, pipe a blue circle of batter around the center circle. Then add a green circle, then a yellow circle, an orange circle and finish with a red circle. You should completely fill the bottom of the muffin cup with colored batter. Repeat this process in each muffin cup, adding a few layers of batter until each cup is filled a little over half full.
- Pipe the remaining batter into the remaining muffin cups. It’s not necessary to make rainbows in these cups, as these cupcakes will be extra.
- Bake cupcakes for 14-18 minutes, until you can press on the top of a cupcake and it springs back or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut the domed tops off each cupcake and discard (or eat). Cut a very thin layer off the bottom of each cupcake and discard (just enough to remove the dark part of the cupcake). Cut each remaining cupcake bottom in half, so that you have 30 little rainbows.
- Lemon Mousse: Combine yogurt, lemon curd, and whipped topping.
- Spoon an inch thick layer of mousse into 3 tin foil loaf pans.
- Set one rainbow cupcake facing the short end of the pan. Line up 9 more rainbow cakes down the center of the pan. Repeat in the other 2 loaf pans.
- Spoon the lemon mousse over top of the rainbows. Spread the tops in a nice even layer.
- Sprinkle rainbow jimmies over the top of the mousse.
- Cover and freeze for 8 hours.
- Remove from freezer, cut away the tin foil pan and remove the semifreddo. Slice into 8 pieces, revealing the rainbows.
- Allow the slices to thaw for about 10 minutes before serving.